William Shakespeare Retold by Derek Sellen
The Montagues and the Capulets hate each other and so when Romeo and Juliet fall in love they are forced into secrecy and subterfuge. Will true love survive? Will the two families make peace?
Do you feel like reading Shakespeare's original play? Try some pages...
Entire play in its original
This is an optional webquest. If you want to do it, add it to your project and hand it when we finish reading Romeo and Juliet.
Click on this link and answer the following questions (1-7).
- Click on the link to Birth 1564 & Early Years. William Shakespeare was born in what year?
- What date do we recognize as his birthday?
- What was important about Stratford-upon-Avon in the 16th century?
- Click on the link for 1594 and find the acting companies Shakespeare was associated with in the early days. Name one.
- Click on 1599 The Great Globe. What is the probable year that Romeo and Juliet was written?
- Scroll down to the section "Construction of the
Globe," and answer these questions:
- Where did the timbers to build the Globe come from?
- Who was the carpenter who built the Globe?
- What was Shakespeare's share as "householder?"